Wednesday, December 30, 2009

It's all happening...or something

Neight the Greight is leaving today and now I'm discovering that I'm much more of a sentimentalist than I thought (thanks n8). I think it took until now to realize just how much things are about to change, or maybe I'm projecting? Most people I know are staying in NYC but one by one we will probably leave, move, lose touch, settle elsewhere, who knows where even I will end up. It's a lot to be confronted with, especially because I think I have a lot of fear connected with this idea of the REST of my LIFE. Understandable, and something I need to confront head on lest I get enveloped in it.

I finally saw

(http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2009/04/28/antichrist-poster.jpg)
and


(http://www.filmofilia.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/fantastic_mr_fox1.jpg)

Two very different movies, obviously, and things I had been meaning to see for months now.
In terms of Antichrist I can't say it was much different from what I was anticipating: some shock value, lots of rough, violent sex, and some artsy slow-motion thrown in. Oh yeah, and opera. Naturally. I had planned on seeing it fr the sake of having the experience of watching the film, but I had already read about each extreme moment or shock, so I guess there was no way for it to have the desired effect. Still, I can't really say it added or took away anything from my life. I guess some people are just into that sort of thing? Also, Lars von Trier hates women.


The Fantastic Mr. Fox....I mean I guess I kind of understand much more why people hate Wes Anderson. He kind of falls into a Woody Allen category for me: I see the routine, the repetition of one style, but I love it so much, or have loved it in some of their films, that I'll pretty much see anything they do. But yeah, same color palette, disappointing soundtrack (for him), same shots, super detail oriented...but once again beautiful to watch, and I had a great time. Animation gets me almost every time, I find it so hard to fathom the detail, the minutae, especially when I'm not as detail oriented as I could be. Still I feel that movie had a potential to blow me away more than it actually did, sadly enough.


In an effort to get a head start on my Christmas gifts I sort of raced through Confederacy of Dunces (sorry John Kennedy Toole!) and started Sag Harbor by Colson Whitehead. It's one of those wonderful things that makes me want to read always, that makes me want to rush out and buy all of his other works before I even finish this one. He's an NYC native and Harvard grad. I saw him with Anna at a New Yorker festival event with Jonathan Lethem that completely blew me away. His style is so detailed and beautiful, one of those authors who is amazingly good at weaving pop culture, race issues, etc. so elegantly you hardly notice the shift except to say YES, exactly. Anyways, I found online a clip from the National Book Festival where he read the exact same sections I saw. Be warned- it's a half hour, and he doesn't come on until about 3 minutes in, but if you have the time he is an amazing writer and well worth listening to.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gl graduatin kid its tougher than ever out there.