Sunday, December 13, 2009

I met myself in a dream, and I just want to tell you everything was alright.

I felt on the verge of an existential crisis the other day, but I'm already feeling much better. It all makes sense though. the FUTURE is looming, I've got maybe 2 days left and then I'm done with NYU, except of course for my colloquium. I'm sure I'll have a good number of freak outs in the next couple of months even though somewhere in me I know that even if I had some grand plan for my Life, chances are it would never come out the way I planned it. So why worry?

In other news, I wish London was closer...they have some fucking GREAT art.

Take, for example, this years Turner Prize (the winner was just announced last week).
Apparently this piece, Seizure by Roger Hiorns, was the favorite
(http://www.tate.org.uk/britain/turnerprize/turnerprize2009/img/work_hiorns_seizure2.jpg)

But it didn't win. Still, it's beautiful. I'll let the Guardian describe it since you know, they're British so it sounds better:
The artist poured thousands of litres of copper sulphate into the flat and then waited for it to crystallise. The work saw many hundreds of visitors queuing up to don wellies and gloves and explore its miasmic spaces.
Sigh. I want to don some wellies and spend some time in the depths of these blue crystals, for sure.
 Here is the winner:

(http://taohuawu.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/2009-10-11turnerprizerichardwright1.jpg)
It has no title and is by artist Richard Wright, who designs his pieces right on the gallery walls. Since this also involves gold leaf and the most popular word used to describe the experience of seeing it is "transfixed," I'm glad it won, although




(http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/04/28/article-1174317-027C96B900000578-553_634x409.jpg)
Hoirns is super cute, no?

In other news, is it bad that I'm super excited for a cover album? Beck has decided to cover Songs of Leonard Cohen, my favorite album, and according to Wikipedia (the thinking man's source) it's going to involve: MGMT, Devendra Banhart, Andrew Stockdale of Wolfmother and Binki Shapiro of Little Joy. I never cared much for MGMT but, as one of my recent posts showed I have so much love for Devendra. I can't wait to hear what he'll do with it.
Also, Little Joy opened for Devendra and I've been really into them lately. They're super poppy and all incredibly attractive, but in that down-to-earth, I want to party with you and hide my jealousy kind of way. They just kind of chill in bars in California with Devendra and listen to Portuguese/Brazilian bands and jam. Not a bad life. 

(http://files.list.co.uk/images/2009/01/08/pre-little-joy-1.jpg)
(The guy on the right is Fabrizio Moretti from the Strokes which, side note, I never had a Strokes moment but there are so many signs recently that I should have, like gushing friends and end-of-the-decade lists, plus praise from James Murphy (LCD Soundsystem, DFA records) who I definitely trust, so I think it's about that time). 
Also, despite Binki Shapiro's ridiculous name, she has one of the most beautiful voices I've ever heard.





In other important news, the ever amazing New York Magazine approval matrix introduced me to the existence of a 5 pound, 12,600 calorie gummy bear. Just thought you should know.

No comments: