Monday, November 23, 2009

Little Things


1) So in a recent post I wrote about "the picture at the top of my blog" and that picture has obviously changed. For references sake, above is that previous photo. My new photo is of a work by the amazing John Baldessari, who I somehow missed during my art historical education, though I luckily caught a whole bunch of his works at the LA County Museum when I visited over the summer. He's amazing, check him out!


2) Today I was killing time at work, perusing the least intellectual parts of the New York Times, when I stumbled upon this  :


Of Color | Stylish Gifts
By SIMONE S. OLIVER
Somali fashion, do-it-yourself henna kits, children's books that draw inspiration from the lives of Barack Obama and Sonia Sotomayor: it's not hard to find gifts created for and by people of color this holiday season.


Does anyone else find this a little absurd? 


3) In a recent episode of The Daily Show, Jon did a short piece (that got pretty stupid at the end, but I forgive him, as always) on Will Phillips , a ten-year-old boy who refuses to stand up for the pledge of allegiance as a protest against gay inequality. I can't decide which part is more ridiculous, when his father cracks up at the word "gaywad" or the newscasters question, "what is a gaywad?" Even better: this kid is amazingly intelligent and already a dissenter! He's more articulate than many people my own age. LOVE


4) Today I donated $50 to help feed a family for Thanksgiving. I know that not many people have money to spare right now, but if you can, you should donate too! Seems like a nice program . 

No comments: