Tuesday, October 20, 2009

A note about the photo at the top of my blog...


This past summer I spent six weeks traveling through Europe by myself (an amazing experience I may start chronicling here with the help of my journal). I spent ten days in Lisbon, Portugal, and while there visited the amazing Museu Berardo in Belem.
They were closed for the installation of a new exhibit (which kept happening to me over and over on my trip...) but had an architecture exhibition still open. Usually I'm a bit turned off by such exhibits, since the idea of studying floor plans isn't exactly enticing (I've had some bad art history experiences), but it turned out to be one of the most amazing exhibitions I've ever seen, and now I'm in love with the Portuguese artist who did the painting above.





(http://www.theguide.co.za/images/arts/0.01094100%201211470347.jpg)


His name is Amancio d'Alpoim Miranda Guedes but he is mostly known as Pancho Guedes. Though primarily an architect (and an amazing, surrealist one that that) he is also an artist. Here are a few images from the exhibition:






(excuse the quality/angles, it's hard to avoid the reflection of the glass on most of these)

He has spent most of his life in Mozambique, which might be the reason why he apparently isn't well known here. He has done sculptures based off of African Art:

(the darker one is an anonymous original, the lighter wood is his own version) 
More importantly, he has made remarkable buildings:


The Eye House
(http://www.greenart.info/guide/C26P01t.jpg)



(http://alexandrepomar.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/09/09/pancho.jpg)

No comments: